11.08.2010

Trick or Treat

Dear Luthien,
I think I'm almost caught up now! Here are a few pictures from Halloween this year. You were a giraffe (again). The costume was definitely too small but it worked. A friend offered a monkey costume a little too late which you ended up having an opportunity to wear also. As Mom's friend Carrie put it, "New Englanders are waaaay into Halloween, and holidays in general..." We found this to be true, and for some reason it got me into the spirit as well (Dad and I are usually not very big on Halloween). You definitely got way too into the candy aspect for me (Dad's fault- he admits it), but I have to admit it was really fun and cute to see you so excited. I was also happy and surprised that you grasped the idea that eating candy was a very special/temporary thing, and we're back to normal now.

Friday evening we went to our church's "Trunk or Treat" that included a potluck dinner. Somebody brought homemade chicken nuggets cut into dinosaur shapes which I thought was brilliant considering most of the kids were set on eating candy only. You definitely had your fair share of those...I actually think that was the first time you had ever had a chicken nugget!

Dad wanted to get a shot of the three of us as were rushing out the door, as usual. Here are the results:
Collecting your candy... You were so excited to get the candy that you actually said "trick or treat" to every person/trunk we went to. Usually you are more shy but there were no reservations that night.
Admiring your candy afterward... I was happy to find that you received a pencil, sunflower seeds, organic fruit jelly beans, and Newman's Organic Oreos! Even the baked Cheetos were a step up.
I'm not proud of this one...but I love it! You actually only took one bite of this Tootsie Roll and then put it aside. You don't really like chocolate. And really, your favorite part about the candy was just looking and talking about it (and asking me over and over what the names of each of the candies are). We even let you sleep with your bag because you just liked to have it by you. We did find some of the candies unwrapped in the morning but you hadn't really eaten them!
Sunday afternoon we went to a brunch at the home of a couple who you and Dad had met at the conference the weekend before. They are both artists and have an adorable loft apartment and a daughter named Zoey. You wore your monkey costume and had a blast. Someone handed you a pumpkin doughnut from Dunkin Doughnuts and by the time I saw that you had it, it was almost gone.


No trick or treating for us on the actual day of Halloween; you got enough sweets for the year! I also have to tell you that you LOVE Charlie Brown and watched the Halloween episode daily up until Halloween. Now we are watching the Thanksgiving episode, which you love even more I think!

Love you,
Mama

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

So cute! Henry was a giraffe this year too, so they could have been buddies!

I've been meaning to email you guys to see how things are going. I'm so excited to hear more about your new life.

Shannon said...

Thanks for sharing the good example of how to de-emphasize the candy part of halloween...I was wondering how we were going to do that next year!