11.03.2010

Outing with Dad

Luthien,
Last weekend Dad took you to the annual "Bioneers by the Bay" Conference while mom stayed home with Bastian, resting and cleaning. I really wanted to go and am sad I missed! This is a gathering of environmental, industry, and social justice innovators who come together and present information and eat yummy organic food, and it happened in our good old city of New Bedford! There were kid/family activities and free admission to the whale museum.

Now, I must digress and explain that about 2 months before we left for Massachusetts you became obsessed with the characters from Finding Nemo, in love with sea animals in general, and mostly, fascinated by whales. Your favorite activity previously had been "standing up" your little plastic animals, but it changed to playing with the Nemo stuffed animals Nana gave you and pretending a big whale was after us and insisting on "getting safe" (which involved getting to higher ground). I think you will have an imagination like your Dad's...

Anyhow, we find it very fitting that the very city which we moved to happens to be the Whaling Capital of the World (or was, when whaling was still legal). There are huge murals of whales and other sea creatures in two places in the city that we drive by all the time, and every time you squeal "There's big whale!!" Mom hadn't had a chance to take you to the whale museum yet, so Dad was very excited when he was able to go with you the day of the conference.

So, here are a few pictures from that day! First, here you are coloring at one of the activity booths. You have gotten more into coloring, which I'm happy about.
We finally found the area of New Bedford that is super cute! They have totally restored a section of the downtown area to look as it was in the 1600's. More pictures to come, but here are just a few that don't show the cobblestone streets and cool old buildings...
This was the inn that the main character from Moby Dick stayed at I believe:
Apparently you were screaming when you saw the whale museum for the first time. In the front there are two big whales and an octopus. By the way, whenever you talk about a whale you refer to them as a "big" whale, not just a whale. There is one exception, and that is when the whale is a baby or miniature- these you refer to as "little tiny baby" whales.

I'm glad we have moved to the perfect place for you!
-Mom

1 comment:

Shannon said...

so adorable! I can't wait to find out what Bohdi is going to be fascinated by/obsessed with!