6.15.2009

Growing Up

Well Miss Luthien, it has again been much too long since I've written. I wanted to write before we went on our little California vacation this weekend but did not get a chance. So I will update you on this past month's happenings and then about our trip. Dad and I really noticed this past week that you are really growing up and becoming a little girl instead of a baby. I guess that comes along with turning 1, which I can't believe is happening so soon! This past week you really started "cruising"- walking all along the furniture and other items as long as you have a little support. We decided to finally get you something to hold onto and push while you walk, since you were trying to do this with so many things around the house. Mom was originally searching for a cool (likely expensive) wooden version but we finally made the smart decision to get a cheap little walker since you will only be using it for a short time (I'm trying to do better with this....). Here is a picture of you and Daddy setting it up:


I haven't gotten a chance to get a picture of you actually using it- the first couple of days you got very frustrated with it because it's hard to keep up with on the wood. But now you love pushing
and walking all around the house. The only frustrating part now is our house is too small to keep up with you- we have to constantly re-direct you when you can't go any further! Notice in the picture your new camera smile. It's a bit different from the earlier fake smile. I can't decide now if you are squinting your eyes because of the flash or if you actually are smiling for the camera...I think it's a little of both.

As promised, here is a picture of you in a cloth diaper (and a few more just for fun). We started out using them part-time and it has been going very well- the new designs make it pretty easy, even for Dad. We are switching to full-time very soon.


Here is a really good example of the camera smile. We have a hard time getting you to keep your eyes open!


And one picture with your very best friend, Roofus. You two love looking out the front gate together- extremely cute. We got home from our trip this weekend in the middle of the night. When you woke up this morning the first thing you wanted to do was see Roofus. You couldn't stop hugging her (more accurately squeezing her). You are a true animal lover like your mama, I couldn't be more proud :)


A few final developmental notes (I'll really try to keep it short this time). First of all, your walk is so funny looking. I have always been a sucker for the Frankenstein-esque walk of newly walking babies, but yours is exceptionally cute/hilarious. You have the "duck" walk like your mom (opposite of being pidgeon toed- mom worked hard her whole life to overcome this). Your left foot really is turned out and whenever we try to turn it in you look at us very strangely and it quickly pops back out. Adorable. Secondly, your language has really expanded this month. You now consistently sign "more," "all-done," and "cold." You will also sign "potty," and a few others on command. As I have said before, you are an incredible observer. You study my mouth as I model words for you, and almost always attempt to say them. You have been able to imitate words like "balloon," "nana," "fish," "moon," and "birdie." You are becoming more consistent with saying "mama," (you've got "daddy" down of course, and also "more") "cat," "no," and a few others. You are understanding so much, more than I know I'm sure, but you really know your body parts now. You can point to your hair, eyes, ears, belly button, toes, feet, shoes, and sometimes nose, mouth, knees, and hands. You like songs with movements that you can imitate and/or do yourself, like "reaching for the sky," patting, kicking and other little hand motions.

I also want to tell you: 1) you are the best hugger- whenever you go to someone you know (especially Mom and Dad) you give them a big squeeze 2) you are such a swimmer- Dad takes you every day which helps, but you really are naturally drawn to the water 3) you are getting two more top teeth (that will make six on top!) and possibly two molars- some days are better than others in terms of your crankiness, sleeping, and eating, but in general you've been doing pretty good- I don't blame you for having a hard time!

Well that is all little one, but I will be writing again very soon!
Love Mama

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I'm so glad you updated, Jessica! I love reading about Luthien's progress and - as I've said before - I think it's such a smart idea to use the blog like a baby book.

So cute about her little walk! I can't wait to see it. And it's so great that she's signing. I thought it was really helpful to have that as a communication tool before Henry could really talk.

Love the cloth diaper. So stylin'!

Anyway, we are so excited to see you guys...

Jaron & Abby said...

I had no idea you had a blog! Yay! I'm so glad that I get to stalk your blog too! jk, no but really...:) Your little girl is so dang cute.