I've never been very good at writing titles, and I'm not sure how appropriate they are for this purpose so I hope you don't mind if I leave them out for the most part. Anyway, I want to tell/show you a bit about our California trip. We went to San Diego to visit your Aunt Carlie and Uncle Kade while they are living there this summer. We drove with your Nana and Grandad. We also planned on meeting up with Uncle Beau/Aunt Maria and your cousin Georges, and Georges stayed with us while Beau and Maria vacationed up north for the weekend. Before I rant (for the second time) about how I do not think road trips with little children should exist, especially when the travel lasts more than 7 hours and the whole trip only lasts 72 hours (sorry Rapier family!), let me just say that seeing your sheer delight at the sight of the waves on the beach made it all worth while. You are most certainly our water baby (although not an aquarius like your Dad). Although you love our man-made pools in Arizona and frequent them oft, it became obvious that nothing can compare to the natural-ness of the ocean. You got so excited with every wave, every seagull, every taste of the salty water. You could care less that the first day we went, it must have been about 50 degrees outside (although somehow the water felt warm compared to the chilly air and wind). You are still particular about certain textures, so I will say that you still are not sure about the sand. You don't mind when it's dry but that wet stuff- just plain weird. Here are a few pictures of you discovering the wonder we call a beach:
Your first encounter with the sand:
Here is a picture from the next day, nice and sunny, at the beach in Santa Barbara (yes, we drove to Santa Barbara Sunday morning, left for Phoenix at 5:30 that evening and mom went to work at 7:30 a.m. the next morning, why do you ask?) I love the old lady look you've been sporting lately. These were the cheapest, velcro style sunglasses we could find a few months ago and it just so happens that you LOVE them. Crazy girl. I think most babies would rip them off but you don't mind a bit, and I don't blame you. AZ sun in the face is not fun.
Here you are all tuckered out after a few hours at the beach; a rare sight to see. Wish we could go every day...
And a few more from the trip...Here we are at the pool. I had to include this one because it looks as though you are posing for the camera. Sorry about all the pictures of just the two of us! Really, there were more people on the trip!
I think you look so grown up in this picture. Something about your teeth and your hair, and perhaps your jacket :) Did I mention you are getting 6 more teeth all at once right now?! At this point we're all used to it- you've been steadily getting teeth since about three months.
I have to include this sequence involving you and Georges. You two were so adorable together. Here he is admiring you as you give his favorite stuffed animal a tight squeeze (one of your favorite things to do):
Next, he reaches in to take back what is rightfully his, and you quickly protest:
More protesting...actually, mini tantrum- as he can't help but show off his capture:
But alas, triumph! Actually, sweet Georgie willingly gave you his toy, and you can't see very well but he is giving you a kiss and saying 'sorry' for the whole calamity. Another example of how you are your Daddy's girl. For now we will consider it cute, but we are trying to teach you that you can't always get your way. Hard to do when you look at that face:
My baby Luthien, let me also just say Happy Birthday! On Sunday, July 5th you turned 1. I can't believe how fast you've grown. I will share more on this very soon. Your birthday celebration is not happening until the 18th, and I will have more to tell you then, too. A few notes before I end: You are so close to walking. You have the coordination down, I am sure, you just need the courage to take those steps without support. Your cautiousness is from your mother. You have, however, been walking short distances with only limited support, like holding on to one of my hand's. The past few days you have been repeating so many words, such as "keys," "amen," and "eye" very clearly. This evening you signed "milk." And you have been imitating the animal sounds for lamb and cat. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" is one of your new favorite songs. "Itsy Bitsy Spider" has always been a favorite, and lately you are really mimicking the hand motions well.
Good night little one, please let Mama sleep tonight.
Love, Mom
1 comment:
Jess - yep, I will eat agave nectar and honey (in moderation). Looking forward to the party tomorrow!
p.s. I just remembered I need to send you the invite pics! Will do so asap.
Post a Comment