8.12.2009

Catching Up

Dear Luthien,
This time I really promise to make it brief. I've been one post behind for some time now and am hoping to resolve that by sharing some developmental updates with you along with a few recent pictures. Then I can tell you all about our trip!

First, I forgot to tell you about these adorable barrettes that one of my very best friends, Emily got for you. There are about 5 different barrettes with a magnet attached, and a bunch of bottle caps that stick onto the barrettes. Emily thoughtfully picked out the least girly/loud styles of bottle caps, much to my delight. Your hair is still a bit too fine to use them in their intended manner, but for now we love using them for play purposes- sorting, sticking/unsticking, putting them in and out of their box, etc. I didn't take the time to account for lighting in this photo, and only a few bottle caps are shown, but the one on the top right is an adorable baby giraffe in neutral colors, which I love :)

Here is a picture I caught of you eating. We are really working on fattening you up. Your most recent measurements at your 1 year checkup were:
Weight: 16 lbs 2 oz (as usual, my mouth dropped as I read the numbers on the scale)
Length: 28 in
Head: 17.75 cm

Here, I have zoomed in on one of your quirky new behaviors. Actually, ever since you were very small you have always been very protective of your hands, and have positioned them in a very specific manner. You can probably notice it in previous pictures I have included. This position use to be curling up all of your fingers, including your thumb, so that they were facing your palm. The newest way in which you hold your hands involves bending your middle finger so that it stretches and curls back your index finger, as pictured below. The only picture I have is the lazy version of this. Normally it is much more exaggerated. Crazy girl!

Here we are at our new favorite monthly ritual: character book readings at Changing Hands Bookstore. I had not heard of this series, Skippyjon Jones, but of course you LOVED it because it involved books and a cat. You listened so intently throughout the reading. I was sad you didn't show off your 'meowing' ability, but loved watching you enjoy the whole thing nonetheless. You did not like getting to close to the giant kitty, but loved watching him from afar.

Even at a very close, but safe distance you loved him:

After the reading you and a couple friends (Mary Elise and Josiah) searched for a few books.

Here is picture of you sitting with Harry Truman in your big girl throne, an activity that is requested often as of late.

And lastly, I couldn't resist sharing this picture. You and Roofus had recently woken up, hence the squinty eyes.


Just a few more notes about the past 2-3 weeks:
1) As I mentioned above, you can 'meow' like a cat. It's the cutest thing anyone has ever heard, I'm sure of it. Other animal sounds you can do are a bird and a monkey (a high pitched squeal for both), although these aren't quite as consistent yet. You also love to pound on your chest whenever you see a monkey/gorilla.
2) You are signing 'mama' and 'daddy,' and saying the words as well all the time. You are saying 'dog' (which you also sign) and 'cat' a lot more now. I have noticed I always model the multi-syllabic version of common words, like 'doggie,' probably because some children have an easier time this way. Although now you are able to say doggie both ways, you seem to have a preference for the shorter versions. That being said, your two newest words are 'bunny' and 'button,' which you say as [badi] (or something similar) for both. It's the cutest thing because you get such a laugh when you say the /b/ sound. You build up a ton of air behind your lips and then blow it out really hard as you say the sound. You can also say 'hi' now, which sounds so cute because you really exaggerate the /h/ sound (although very recently you've been sticking to the wave-only method of greeting again). Of course you love to say 'no' more and more every day.
3) You understand so much of what we say lately, especially if it is a 2-3 word phrase. You also understand more and more of what goes on in your books, even when they are line drawings vs. photographs. I find it so amazing that you can recognize certain line-drawn objects that you've never previously seen illustrated in that particular manner.
4) You are SO close to walking! Ever so often throughout the day you'll stand up in the middle of the room with no support, and sometimes you'll take about 3-4 steps on your own (especially, it seems, if you have a new audience).

Okay, goodnight little one. There is always more I could tell you but I think this gets us up to speed enough for now.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

hosiewosie said...

Great pictures! I love the one of the 3 kids at the bookshelf at Changing Hands. Now if only I could get a picture of ME eating (she has to EAT first)! Is Luthien walking yet?