4.10.2009

Hi Luthien-

Well, it has again been a long couple of weeks, but this is about you, not me. I am writing while on my lunch break at work so again there will be no pictures. I promise to post some after our Easter adventures this weekend!

Lets re-cap: at 8 1/2 months you finally started crawling- we always said it wasn't a completely normal crawl- kind of like you had a bum leg. Well, that has officially disappeared and now I can call you a full-fledged crawler. When you see something you want (usually a cat or dog) you are very speedy, too!

Mom is starting to accept the fact that you are not really into any foods that have to be eaten from a spoon. This means all my long hours spent making deliciously fresh (mostly organic) purees are coming to an end. I'm not quite ready to let it go yet since there is an exception to this rule- you LOVE my potato leek soup. You also seem to prefer anything that is very fresh- if it was made the day before and re-heated, forget it. I'm still determined to find more purees that you like because then we could get more volume into that skinny body of yours! Although you have more teeth than most your age, you still tend to cough/choke a little with some of the finger foods, so we can only do very small amounts at a time. For some reason whenever you have to eat off of a spoon you purse your lips and take the tiniest bites I've ever seen, except with the potato leek soup! I'm starting to wonder if/why you have an aversion to the spoon- my initial thoughts are to trace it back to the NICU or the oral vaccines....of course this is just my inquisitive, research-based mind at work. We haven't been back for your 9 month check-up but I am hoping you have gained some weight according to their scale. You definitely feel heartier to me and we've been working really hard to find things you like!

Speaking of teeth, your two top teeth came in and it looks very funny, and of course cute. I have to admit it is a bit hard for me to adjust to your new "look," I'm not sure why! You also have two more teeth on both sides of the middle top two that have poked through- just not quite visible when you smile yet. You have this habit of tapping/grinding your teeth together that is like 'nails on a chalkboard' for Dad and I...seriously, how is it possible to grind your front teeth?!

No new language milestones to report just yet. We're still working on various signs, pointing, waving, and consistent/meaningful productions of 'mommy' and 'daddy.'

You've been having a hard time sleeping at night again- last night you woke up screaming 4 or 5 times. I'm thinking your teeth are bugging you and hoping we can go back to only 1 waking per night.

You continue to have an obsession with anything that is circular shaped. This is probably tied with or a close second to your obsession with other babies/kids! We recently went to a friend's 2nd birthday party and it was very obvious how much you love being around other children-sometimes more than they do- you had the best time playing with and watching all the other babies. I was able to see your age cut-off the other day at the grocery store. You were totally engrossed with a girl who looked to be about age 6. You were totally uninterested, however, in her sister, who was desperately trying to entertain you but was the unfortunate age of about 9. My crazy, picky girl!

Well, we are off to Tucson this weekend and I will report the events of the trip when we get back!

Love you,
Mom

p.s. I forgot to mention how sad you get now when I have to go to work. I'm sorry I have to leave you and I wish I didn't have to go- it really breaks my heart. I do know that you are safe with Dad, even if he doesn't always do things the way I would do them!

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I wonder if she is having issues eating/with the spoon because she is getting so many teeth. She may be having issues with how her mouth feels as her teeth are coming in, and it's affecting her spoon acceptance. That's totally a random guess.

Have you tried these?:
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Safe-Feeder-Made-USA/dp/B000056JCY

Chelsea said...

This is so fun to read! What a great way to keep a baby book. I wish I would have done it more consistently with Henry.

Henry was picky when we introduced him to solid foods too. It took several tries (like 10) with the same foods before he decided he would eat it. It's so annoying, though, to go to all the trouble making the food only to have it rejected!

Oh, and I remember the teeth grinding! Henry did that too and it drove us nuts! How can they like doing that?

Can't wait to see pictures!

Marisa said...

Jessica,

I was so happy to find your blog! I don't know why I didn't notice it before. Luthien is absolutely precious! I love your letters and all the pictures.

Love,
Marisa